I love what I do. I love creating environments and scenes that take viewers to unexpected places. I love working with type, objects, photos and shapes to create a final product that communicates ideas in creative and unique ways. One of the biggest challenges of my job is to try to find a unique take on even the most basic ideas, but it's a challenge that inspires and motivates me. Ideas and inspiration are everywhere - I enjoy finding them all around me and watching them come to life in my work.
I’ve worked as a graphic designer and art director for over a decade and have gained extensive experience in the field. I began my career at Hour Media as an advertising designer and, within three years, was promoted to the position of art director for Hour Detroit magazine. Working for a relatively small company gave me an opportunity to have a hands-on role in every part of the magazine design process.
In addition to art directing, I’ve had the opportunity to work in a variety of settings and departments. As an ad designer, I was responsible for collaborating with both internal and external clients to design ads that satisfied the advertiser’s desired objective. I’ve also worked with the sales and marketing departments to create promotional materials for the company, including sales sheets, invitations, event signage, and product labels. Whether collaborating with a design team or as the manager in charge of the design department, I was able to gain insight and experience in many different aspects of the graphic design field.
Currently I'm the senior art director on Cadillac Magazine at Lowe Campbell Ewald in Detroit. This position has allowed me to do what I love on a much larger scale. Now, instead of working locally, I'm fortunate enough to fly around the US directing photo shoots. I've gained experiences that will serve me well for a lifetime and have gotten the chance to work with a lot of incredibly creative people.
I've also been fortunate enough to get some great freelance work. I've been hired to design logos, marketing materials, playbills, billboards, posters, websites, and books. I enjoy being able to work on a variety of projects and appreciate the variety that comes with freelance projects.
During my career, I’ve received professional recognition for my work. Some of the awards include:
* 2014 Silver Pearl Award for best overall design for Cadillac Magazine
* 2014 SPD (Society of Publication Designers) Cover of the Day Award
* 2013 Communication Arts Photography Annual award for art direction, editorial photography
* 2013 Society of Professional Journalists category sweep (first, second and third place) for cover design
* First-place award in 2013 from the Society of Professional Journalists for magazine spread design
* 2012 Folio Ozzie Award for Best Use of Photography in a fashion feature
* 2012 Communication Arts Photography Annual award for art direction, editorial photography
* 2012 Applied Arts Photography Annual award for art direction, fashion and beauty photography
* First-place award in 2012 from the Society of Professional Journalists for magazine spread design
* First-place award in 2011 for best feature design in Folio Magazine’s national competition
* First-place award in 2010 from the Society of Professional Journalists for feature spread design
* First-place award in 2009 in the CRMA’s General Excellence category
* Second-place award in 2008 from the Society of Professional Journalists for feature spread design